Balluta
HOME
Towns and Villages. Index
Balluta
Our Lady of Carmel Parish Church
At Balluta Bay, in St.Julians, since 1859 there was a church dedicated to Our Lady of Carmel, built by the Confraternity of Our Lady of Carmel of Valletta. The church was rebuilt in 1877 (Picture #1 Below) and given to the Carmelite friars who rebuilt and enlarged it in 1900 (Picture #2). In 1958 it was enlarged again (Pictures #3 and #4) and in 1974 it became the parish church of the locality. Since 1877 it was always built in a neo-Gothic style. Dedication date: 12th December 1984.
Jesus Our Friend Chapel
About 50 years ago the Franciscan Friars Minor of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart (Sacro Cuor) parish in Sliema opened a house for the teaching of christian doctrine. For 21 years Catechism was taught and Mass celebrated here. Between 1993 and 1994, the old house was demolished and in its place a chapel and a pastoral centre built dedicated to Jesus our friend. This area of sliema now belongs to the Balluta parish, but the Franciscan friars are still responsible for the chapel and pastoral centre.
Jesus our Friend Chapel
Stay with us Lord Chapel
This Eucharistic Adoration Chapel on Tower Road is open daily; Summer 7am to 12am; Winter 7am to 10pm.
St.Ignatius
The church was formerly the chapel of St.Ignatius which the English Jesuits had opened in 1877. The chapel was opened to the public in 1881, but remained closed for a certain period of time while it served as a store during WWII. It was reopened for worship in 1949.