|Our Lady of Lourdes Parish Church
Situated on a promontory overlooking Mgarr Harbour it has spectacular view up to the Island of Malta. A statue of the Virgin Mary of Lourdes sculpted by Antonio Busuttil was placed in a natural cavity beneath the promontory on 25th March 1879. It was blessed by Bishop Pietro Pace on 3rd June 1888. On that occasion the Bishop urged devotees to help him raise funds for a chapel. The foundation stone was laid on the 10th June 1888 and it was opened and blessed on 27th August 1893. It was consecrated on 17th February 1949. Inside, the chapel has a ribbed, Gothic vaulted roof, and is dominated by a statue of the Virgin Mary of Lourdes sculpted by Carlo Darmanin and donated by Karolina Mamo-Bruno on 17th September 1893. The feast is celebrated on the 11th February, the date of Our Lady's first apparition at Lourdes.
|Our Lady of Lourdes parish church|
A chapel used to exist in a tower built in 1605 by Grandmaster Martin Garzes. A document recording the pastoral visit of Don Pietro Francesco Pontemoli of 1621 refers to four soldiers who resided there on regular guard duty and for whose spiritual needs a small chapel was built inside, dedicated to St.Catherine of Siena. The original chapel would have been rededicated to St.Martin after the tower underwent repairs in 1617. In 1848 the tower was sadly demolished and its material used for building a road from Mgarr to Nadur.
|Garzes Tower overlooking Mgarr|
|Our Lady of Grace Fort Chambray
Between 1800 and 1928, during the British stay at Fort Chambray, there were two chapels, one for Catholics and another for Anglicans.
The Roman Catholic chapel situated close to the Notre Dame della Qala Bastion (Westside near the entrance), next to the barracks raised by the Knights. It had a single altar and a bell on the roof. When members of the Society of Jesus came to Gozo to run the Seminary (1866-1909), it was usually an English Jesuit who officiated in this chapel.
Anglican chapel Fort Chambray
This is close to Saint Anthony Bastion (overlooking the North of ix-Xatt l-Ahmar) next to the cemetery. It later served as a Catholic chapel for the patients of the Chambray hospital when the fort was handed over to the civil authorities.