|Annunciation Parish church
In 1575, this Annunciation church was the main one in Tarxien. It had another three churches adjacent to it, one dedicated to St.Paul, another to St.Nicholas and another to St.Luke. The Annunciation was chosen as parish church when in 1594 Tarxien attained a parish status and continued in use till the building of a new parish church had been completed about 1627. This new church was the first parish church in Malta having a Latin cross plan with side chapels both in its main aisle and in its transepts. Various structural modifications were carried out on this church during the first decades of the 18th century when particularly its cupola and roof were remodeled. The altarpiece was painted in 1874 by Pietro Gagliardi. Dedication date: 9th May 1782
|Annunciation parish church|
This church, first built in 1415, suffered considerable damage during the great siege of 1565 and was rebuilt in 1668, with the 'cupola' added in 1729 - 37. The church is dedicated to the Assumption of the virgin Mary into heaven but is known simply as St.Mary. Marriages are permitted in the church.
|Assumption church tar-Rokna|
Fr Francis Caruana, a well to do parish priest, built a house and a chapel dedicated to St Joseph annexed to it on Tarxien Rd in the late 1800s. He fitted it with everything necessary and commissioned V Bonnici to sculpt a statue of St Joseph which he placed in a niche over the main door. The original titular picture which showed the Holy Family with st Joseph in a prominent position is now at the Birzebbuga convent of the Sisters of Charity. After his death, Fr Francis was buried in the chapel itself. The White Fathers took care of the chapel for a while until it was taken over, together with the adjoining house, in 1905, by the Sisters of Charity. It was rededicated by them to the Immaculate Conception.
|Church of the Immaculate Conception|
|Original Titular Picture|
In the Tarxien cemetery there used to be a chapel built in 1754. In the 1960's it was already being used by the population of the locality and was not large enough for the increasing numbers, so it was decided to replace it with a larger church to cater both for the faithful and the expanded cemetery that borders the Neolithic temples (See satellite picture Below Right). The form of this new church is elliptical and is 100 ft long X 60 ft wide. It was opened for the public on the 27th November 1987 and consecrated on the 13th December 2002. It is more commonly known as All Souls. (Please see section on Cemeteries)
|Risen Christ (All Souls) chapel|
|St.Bartholomew & Our Lady of Good Counsel
Fr Bartholomew Mangion, on the 29th July 1759, left a bequest whereby a church in honour of St Bartholomew and Our Lady of Good Counsel was to be built at Tarxien. He wanted the parish priest of Tarxien to take care of it, building for him a residence near it. Bishop Rull, on the 28th April 1762, authorized the building of this church which was eventually blessed on the 10th March 1776. Four days afterwards, the mortal remains of its founder were interred in it. Nowadays the church is used for prayer meetings and is also open for Perpetual Adoration with different Winter and Summer schedules. Marriages may be held there.
|St.Bartholomew & Our Lady of Good Counsel church|
|St.Nicholas Of Tolentino
The Augustinian friars opened a convent and college at Tarxien in 1948 and the college chapel dedicated to this Saint became very popular with the people living in the neighbourhood. After WWII the college was turned into a Girls' school. The large church which they have nowadays, seating about 600 persons, was started in 1967 and consecrated in 1975 by Archbishop Mons.M.Gonzi. Marriages may be held in the church.
|St.Nicholas of Tolentino church|