|Wied il-Ghajn (Marsascala)|
|St.Anne Parish Church
Wied il-Ghajn became a parish in 1949 and the small church of St.Anne, the property of the Senglea Chapter became the parish church (see further down). The present church was built in 1953.
|The church in the process of being built before the belfry was erected|
|St.Anne parish church|
|St.Anne Old Parish Church
In the 19th Century several people began building small summer residences close to the sea in this area. Some priests from Senglea used to come down during the summer months to care for their spiritual needs. In 1895, a small church dedicated to St.Anne was built. In November 22 1903, it was blessed by Canon. Francis Briffa Archpriest of Senglea. As the number of permanent residents was continually on the increase, Mons.Mauro Caruana Bishop of Malta installed this small church as vice-parish of Zabbar. On December 7 1918, with its limits taken from Zabbar itself and from Zejtun, Wied il-Ghajn became a parish with St.Anne as its parish church. Sadly, nowadays the old church of St.Anne is used as storage space.
|Old parish church of St.Anne|
|Holy Rosary tal-Barunissa
The church was built on a hilltop in 1856 by Luigi dei Conti Manduca. In 1997 it was donated to the archdiocese. The heirs of the owners of Villa Manduca and its adjacent estates in Marsascala have taken the Maltese archdiocese to court in a bid to regain their property, after the church authorities failed to keep their obligations outlined in a 1997 donation contract. The extensive estate with the chapel and furnishings were donated to former Archbishop Mercieca to be used as a retirement home for priests or for other pastoral needs.
|Holy Rosary tal-Barunissa|
|Our Lady of Consolation
'Tac-Cintura'. The chapel, known also as 'tal-Markiza', was built in the 18th century and today it is used for meetings by church groups. Nowadays it is used also for Perpetual Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament.
|Our Lady of Consolation|
|Our Lady of Light tal-Bidni
This church was built on a site previously occupied by another church dedicated to St.John Baptist which was closed to public worship in 1654. It was reopened by Bishop Alpheran de Bussan in 1733 on the request of Cleric Gio.Ant.Mallia and others. By 1737, a picture of Our Lady of Light placed in this church had attracted considerable devotional appeal as could be seen by the number of votive offerings. Pharmacist Giuseppe Mallia was then in charge of this church which was already referred to as 'Tad-Dawl'. By 1754, devotion towards this Marian shrine had spread all over the island. Masses were celebrated daily in this church. A new church was built between 1754 and 1758. Incidentally, pharmacist Mallia, who seems to have been the principal benefactor of this Marian devotion within this church, died when its building had just been completed.
|Our Lady of Light|
|St.Anthony of Padova
On the Marsascala bypass one can see this chapel built in 1675 by Dun Andrea Palladino. Nowadays it falls within Wied il-Ghajn jurisdiction but up to 1919 it formed part of the Zejtun Parish. A barrel vault roof rests on five arches that rise up from a cornice, and behind the altar one can find an elegant baroque style prospective. The titular painting shows Our Lady with the child Jesus on her lap, also depicted are St.Anthony and St.Philip Neri. In an inside niche, there is a wooden statue of St.Anthony on whose neck a metal ring is attached. The fishermen of Wied il-Ghajn used to lower the statue together with their fishing nets into the water to provide a good catch. On the other side of the church one finds a number of ex-votos. On the eve of the feast day of St.Anthony, Mass is celebrated outside in front of the chapel where in the past small loaves used to be blessed and given to the devotees. The chapel is currently being restored.
|St.Anthony of Padova|
This church is on the road to St.Thomas Bay and was built in 1657 by George Mamo together with a fortified house still standing. It was erected during the time St.Cajetan was still a Blessed and not yet Canonized. One can find only two churches dedicated to this Saint on the Maltese islands, this and the parish church of Hamrun. During WWII this chapel suffered extensive damage but was rebuilt. In the sacristy there is a small niche with a statue of the Saint holding Baby Jesus. There is also a framed poem in Maltese explaining the shape of a sailing ship scratched on the facade by a slave in the 17th century. Mass is celebrated in this wayside church every Saturday Evening. For more detailed and extensive information about this Saint please check my other project at: San Gaetano
|Church of St.Cajetan
Top: Church outside and inside.
Left: Niche in Sacristy.
Right: Titular picture by an unknown artist.
Below: Incision of ship and poem.
A chapel which was privately built for the interment of the remains of the founder Wenzu Bigeni. Nowadays a substantial part of it is demolished and what is left is being used for tourist promotion.
A chapel dedicated to St Thomas is said to have existed on this site even before the building of the tower, in fact the tower took its name from it. A chapel of St Thomas is mentioned as being in the St.Thomas tower in a report of 1762. A rectangular panel painting from this chapel, made up of two wooden boards depicting the Saint, is now preserved in the Zejtun Museum. This area used to be under the jurisdiction of Zejtun at the time.